JOIN OUR TEAM
Santa Barbara, CA
Summit Surgery Center is a state-of-the-art orthopedic ambulatory surgery center in Santa Barbara. The Center is now looking to hire a part-time, experienced Surgical Technician (Scrub Tech). Orthopedic experience environment is preferred.
- Assists Circulating Nurse in setting up for each procedure in the operating room.
- Must open sterile supplies and prepares for each operative procedure following the center’s policies and procedures.
- Assists the physician during the procedure(s).
- Must have good knowledge of the procedure(s) performed at the center.
- Must be able to anticipate and problem solve during intraoperative procedures.
- Must understand sterile technique (i.e. comprehends the surgical scrubbing and the gowning and gloving standards).
- Must be able to maintain sterility throughout each procedure.
- Prepares back table by setting up each procedure with the necessary instruments and supplies needed to perform the procedure.
- Maintains correct count of sponges and needles with Circulator, as directed by the center’s policies and procedures.
- Assists in maintenance and care of specimens.
- Assists in application of dressings and in moving/transferring patient(s).
- Decontaminates all equipment and instrument as directed by the center’s sterile processing policies.
- Assists in room turnover and cleaning of the operating area as directed by the center’s infection control and facilities policies.
- Compiles and makes available all necessary supplies needed for each procedure.
- Maintain awareness of safety hazards and use of equipment to prevent damage or harm to personnel or patients.
- Assists the Materials Manager in inventory of supplies and equipment to assure availability and maintain set level.
- Knows where all supplies are kept and is able to get or put away accordingly.
- Assist during emergency situations, as required.
- Prepares equipment and supplies for the next surgery day.
- Maintains and increases standards of performance and education.
- Performs additional activities and duties as directed.
- Participates in education program(s).
- Participates in training, orientation and staff development programs, if applicable.
- Stays current to surgical technician practice at local and national levels.
- Maintains a high level of professionalism in accordance to the center’s standards and practices.
- Maintains confidentiality of all patients.
- Familiar with and is supportive of the facility’s policies and procedures.
- Must file an incident report for any unusual event that occurs to a patient or member of staff; this would include, but not be limited to, falls, needlestick injuries, aspiration of gastric contents, allergic reactions, and disruptive behavior by staff or patients. Also required to report any incidences or alleged incidences of abuse, harassment, or injury to self, other employees, or patients occurring at the Center or relating to the Center. Further specifications can be found in the Abuse Reporting documents and Code of Safe Practices, provided by the Director of Nursing.
- Must have completed high school or equivalent and acceptable ORT training program with appropriate certification.
- Must have current BLS certification.
- Must be able to communicate and understand the English language, both verbal and written.
- Must possess the physical ability and perceptive acuity (e.g., visual, hearing) to satisfactorily perform all direct and indirect care functions.
- May be expected to lift twenty-five pounds without assistance. Is required to obtain assistance when moving patients unable to assist in move, unless patient is in wheelchair or on gurney. May be required to push patients in wheelchairs or on gurneys. Will be expected to obtain assistance when needed.